What is a portable air conditioner?
A portable air conditioner is an air conditioner that does not require permanent installation. They are designed to move room-to-room and can vent out of a window. The Friedrich ZoneAire portables have caster wheels and are relatively lightweight, allowing the units to be easily moved from room to room and stored away when you don't need them.
What should I consider when choosing a portable air conditioner?
Room Size- Knowing your room size is critical in determining the best size air conditioner for your space. An air conditioners BTUs tell you how powerful the unit is and has a direct impact on how quickly the unit will be able to cool your space. Single or Dual Hose Design- Single hose air conditioners pull air from within the room and expel warm air and moisture outside. Dual hose air conditioners pull outside air into the room using one hose and exhaust the warm air with the other. Dual hose portables have the ability to cool an area more quickly and efficiently than single hose portables.
What size portable AC do I need?
There are 2 main considerations when selecting a portable AC.
- Room Size - Knowing your room size is critical in determining the best size air conditioner for your space. An air conditioner BTU tells you how powerful the unit is and has a direct impact on how quickly the unit will be able to cool your space. The standard rule is that a portable AC unit needs about 20 BTU for each square foot of space you need to cool. Keep in mind, every application is unique so those
- Single or Dual Hose Design - Single-hose portable ACs pull air from within the room and expel warm air and moisture outside. Dual-hose portable ACs pull outside air into the room using one hose and exhaust the warm air with the other. Dual-hose portables have the ability to cool an area more quickly and efficiently than single-hose portables, but single-hose portables tend to be less expensive and more compact. And no matter your choice, Friedrich's got you covered with both single and dual hose options that offer effective and convenient cooling.
Check out the Friedrich portable comparison grid below for details:
Are portable air conditioners energy efficient?
Yes, the Friedrich portable air conditioners are highly energy efficient. In addition to the high EER on the Friedrich models, portable air conditioners can be a great way to reduce energy consumption in your home or office. By cooling rooms used the most instead of cooling the entire space, less energy will be consumed.
Do Friedrich Portables have Wi-Fi?
YES! Both our ZoneAire Compact and ZoneAire Dual hose models come equipped with wi-fi and voice command compatibility through our FriedrichGo platform.
What size AC do I need? How many BTUs?
Guide based on normal room insulation, average number of sun exposed windows and two person occupancy.
- If heavily shaded, reduce cooling Btus required by 10%
- If very sunny, increase cooling Btus required by 10%
- Add 500 Btus per person over 2 people
- Add 4,000 Btus if the area is a kitchen
*disclaimer - Room Size by square footage is an approximation. Please contact an HVAC professional for more information.